Sunday, March 27, 2005

Book Nazi

I have recently come to the conclusion that I am a Book Snob. No, make that a Culture Snob. I never read major authors anymore. You see, I have this theory about the John Grishams and Danielle Steeles of the world: They have actually written only four books. These books are always saved in the word processor of the PC. When it is time to publish a new book, they cut and paste chapters and rename the characters. Voila! A New Legal Thriller/Romantic Susupense novel ready for mass consumption.
It actually makes it hard for me to sell books somedays. This nice little old lady will come in asking for the new Nicholas Sparks, and all I want to do is scream,'He's a HACK! Read something worthwhile. Here is a copy of Christopher Moore's book, 'Lamb.' Read it.' But I don't. I do try to broaden the horizons of my clientele, it works sometimes.
I was under the impression that I reserved this snobbery for books, but I have learned this past week that I also go ballistic when someone comes in to rent, say 'Fat Albert.'

When did I get so snobby?

No comments: