Saturday, September 24, 2005

Blue Writing, Part II

It's no Big secret that I am a fan of Sex and the City, or that Carrie Bradshaw is a role model of mine. I am not vain enough to think that I am like her, but the arcs of some of the stories do parallel some of my life. I am sure I am not the only one. But when you identify so closely with what is going on, it is kind of spooky and reassuring at the same time.
One nice thing is that Carrie can usually pull me out of a writing funk. I can watch an episode and it will send me right to my laptop. I just finished watching Episode 5 of the 5th season where Carrie has the launch party for her book. At the very end, she gets into her limo, and the driver is so excited about Carrie's book that it reminds Carrie that getting a book published is no small feat.
I guess I needed that to remind me of what I have accomplished in the last year. I have a book review column that is published in my hometown newspaper, and I get to travel around and meet up and coming authors, as well as people already respected in the literary field. Everyone has bad days at work, you just have to make sure you use the memory of how good the good days are to reinvigorate yourself.
I love my job, I really do. I think it's just harder because I am alone here and don't get to really share it with Tom, yet. I am so ready for him to be here, and there are days I think it is never gonna happen.
Funny, just the other day I was commenting on how I don't write when I am in a funk, but there was Carrie, ready to drag the words out of me...

No comments: