Friday, April 01, 2005

Serendipity

So, I didn't have Auntie Mame to watch yesterday. It was fate. Instead, I watched The King and I, which is by far my favorite Rogers and Hammerstein musical. There is something to be said about unrequited love onscreen. (Offscreen it sucks) I have found that most of my favorite movies deal with this subject. None better than The King and I. Yes, I know Debbie Kerr didn't do her own singing (and that used to bother me until I heard what's-his-name sing the part of the Phantom in the movie. WHY didn't the dub in Michael Crawford?) but the acting is so wonderful, and it is so pretty to watch.
I even find Yul Brenner quite the hottie in this film. Running around barefoot with almost no shirt on, shouting out orders, very masculine.
I always thought The Crown Prince and Louie had something going on, you know. They were the gayest little kids ever.
But that movie is just magic to me. I love every song, every scene. It's got incredible costumes, incredible sets, incredible actors.
I am torn between my favorite scene: either 'Small House of Uncle Thomas' or 'The Parade of Childeren.' The parade gets me because so much is conveyed to the audience with nary a word spoken. It sometimes moves me to tears. And everyone loves the 'Uncle Thomas' part.

1 comment:

JanetsJourney.com said...

I was lucky enough to see Yul Brenner do the King and I on stage shortly before he died. I will never forget it!